These are ways to ensure you have and maintain a healthy lifestyle before planning to conceive as well as steps to maintain a healthy pregnancy. It is good for every couple to have one and especially if you had a preterm baby, a baby with a birth defect, miscarriage, stillbirth or certain conditions runs in your family. Even if you have had a baby before, it is always good to have a preconception checkup done.
What to do and what happens
- Start taking 400mcg of folic acid every day.
- Quit smoking and drinking.
- Avoid contact with toxic materials that could cause infection.
- Have protected sex.
- Talk to your doctor if you are asthmatic, epileptic, diabetic, obese or have high blood pressure to be sure it is under control.
- Maintain a good diet
- Avoid hot baths
- Stop taking over the counter drugs, abusing prescribed drugs and speak to your doctor about it.
Your doctor will run some tests and possibly scans to ensure all bases are covered before a recommendation is made.